How to Fall Asleep Quicker
If you’ve ever experienced lying awake at night, struggling to fall asleep, you know how frustrating it can be. Sticking to a routine, which includes the following techniques, will help you to fall asleep easily each night.
- Keep a constant sleep time and stick to this every night.
- Have a pre-sleep routine which you do in the 90 minutes before sleep every night. This can include activities such as tidying, reading a book, writing a to do list for the next day, preparing your bag, changing your bedding or writing down anything of importance that happened during your day.
- Reduce light exposure in the 90 minutes before sleep to ensure your brain begins producing the melatonin needed for sleep.
- Reduce technology use in the 90 minutes before sleep as these devices emit blue light which can keep you awake. Plus, it has an effect on your stress levels and keeps your brain alert. For example, if you're responding to emails and messages right up to bedtime, you're keeping yourself open to potentially stressful situations.
- Blackout your bedroom by using blackout blinds and cover any standby lights.
- Drown out any noises by using a white noise app.